John 16:16-33

John 16:16-33
Sorrow Will Turn into Joy

Jesus told his disciples, "For a little while you won't see me, but
after a while you will see me." They said to each other, "What does
Jesus mean by saying that for a little while we won't see him, but
after a while we will see him? What does he mean by saying that he is
going to the Father? What is this 'little while' that he is talking
about? We don't know what he means."
Jesus knew that they had some questions, so he said: You are wondering
what I meant when I said that for a little while you won't see me, but
after a while you will see me. I tell you for certain that you will
cry and be sad, but the world will be happy. You will be sad, but
later you will be happy. When a woman is about to give birth, she is
in great pain. But after it is all over, she forgets the pain and is
happy, because she has brought a child into the world. You are now
very sad. But later I will see you, and you will be so happy that no
one will be able to change the way you feel. When that time comes,
you won't have to ask me about anything. I tell you for certain that
the Father will give you whatever you ask for in my name. You have
not asked for anything in this way before, but now you must ask in my
name. Then it will be given to you, so that you will be completely
happy.
I have used examples to explain to you what I have been talking about.
But the time will come when I will speak to you plainly about the
Father and will no longer use examples like these. You will ask the
Father in my name, and I won't have to ask him for you. God the
Father loves you because you love me, and you believe that I have come
from him. I came from the Father into the world, but I am leaving the
world and returning to the Father. The disciples said, "Now you are
speaking plainly to us! You are not using examples. At last we know
that you understand everything, and we don't have any more questions.
Now we believe that you truly have come from God." Jesus replied:Do
you really believe me? The time will come and is already here when
all of you will be scattered. Each of you will go back home and leave
me by myself. But the Father will be with me, and I won't be alone. I
have told you this, so that you might have peace in your hearts
because of me. While you are in the world, you will have to suffer.
But cheer up! I have defeated the world."

Jesus is the way. Invite Him into your heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer

Matthew 5:23-24