Acts 2:22-47.

Acts 2:22-47

Now, listen to what I have to say about Jesus from Nazareth. God
proved that he sent Jesus to you by having him work miracles, wonders,
and signs. All of you know this. God had already planned and decided
that Jesus would be handed over to you. So you took him and had evil
men put him to death on a cross. But God set him free from death and
raised him to life. Death could not hold him in its power. What David
said are really the words of Jesus, "I always see the Lord near me,
and I will not be afraid with him at my right side. Because of this,
my heart will be glad, my words will be joyful, and I will live in
hope. The Lord won't leave me in the grave. I am his holy one, and he
won't let my body decay. He has shown me the path to life, and he
makes me glad by being near me." My friends, it is right for me to
speak to you about our ancestor David. He died and was buried, and his
tomb is still here. But David was a prophet, and he knew that God had
made a promise he would not break. He had told David that someone from
his own family would someday be king. David knew this would happen,
and so he told us that Christ would be raised to life. He said that
God would not leave him in the grave or let his body decay. All of us
can tell you that God has raised Jesus to life! Jesus was taken up to
sit at the right side of God, and he was given the Holy Spirit, just
as the Father had promised. Jesus is also the one who has given the
Spirit to us, and that is what you are now seeing and hearing. David
didn't go up to heaven. So he wasn't talking about himself when he
said, "The Lord told my Lord to sit at his right side, until he made
my Lord's enemies into a footstool for him." Everyone in Israel
should then know for certain that God has made Jesus both Lord and
Christ, even though you put him to death on a cross. When the people
heard this, they were very upset. They asked Peter and the other
apostles, "Friends, what shall we do?" Peter said, "Turn back to God!
Be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ, so that your sins will be
forgiven. Then you will be given the Holy Spirit. This promise is for
you and your children. It is for everyone our Lord God will choose, no
matter where they live." Peter told them many other things as well.
Then he said, "I beg you to save yourselves from what will happen to
all these evil people." On that day about three thousand believed his
message and were baptized. They spent their time learning from the
apostles, and they were like family to each other. They also broke
bread and prayed together.

Life among the Lord's Followers

Everyone was amazed by the many miracles and wonders that the apostles
worked. All the Lord's followers often met together, and they shared
everything they had. They would sell their property and possessions
and give the money to whoever needed it. Day after day they met
together in the temple. They broke bread together in different homes
and shared their food happily and freely, while praising God.
Everyone liked them, and each day the Lord added to their group others
who were being saved."

Jesus is the way. Invite Him into your heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer

Matthew 5:23-24