Numbers 22:1-21.

Numbers 22:1-21
Israel moved from there to the hills of Moab, where they camped across
the Jordan River from the town of Jericho.

King Balak of Moab Hires Balaam To Curse Israel

"When King Balak of Moab and his people heard how many Israelites
there were and what they had done to the Amorites, he and the Moabites
were terrified and panicked. They said to the Midianite leaders,
"That bunch of Israelites will wipe out everything in sight, like a
bull eating grass in a field." So King Balak sent a message to Balaam
son of Beor who lived among his relatives in the town of Pethor near
the Euphrates River. It said: I need your help. A huge group of people
has come here from Egypt and settled near my territory. They are too
powerful for us to defeat, so would you come and place a curse on
them? Maybe then we can run them off. I know that anyone you bless
will be successful, but anyone you curse will fail. The leaders of
Moab and Midian left and took along money to pay Balaam for his work.
When they got to his house, they gave him Balak's message. "Spend the
night here," Balaam replied, "and tomorrow I will tell you the Lord's
answer." So the officials stayed at his house. During the night, God
asked Balaam, "Who are these people at your house?" "They are
messengers from King Balak of Moab," Balaam answered. "He sent them
to ask me to go to Moab and place a curse on the people who have come
there from Egypt. They have settled everywhere around him, and he
wants to run them off." But God replied, "Don't go with Balak's
messengers. I have blessed those people who have come from Egypt, so
don't curse them." The next morning, Balaam said to Balak's officials,
"Go on back home. The Lord says I cannot go with you."The officials
left and told Balak that Balaam refused to come. Then Balak sent a
larger group of officials, who were even more important than the first
ones. They went to Balaam and told him that Balak had said, "Balaam,
if you come to Moab, I'll pay you very well and do whatever you ask.
Just come and place a curse on these people." Balaam answered, "Even
if Balak offered me a palace full of silver or gold, I wouldn't do
anything to disobey the Lord my God. You are welcome to spend the
night here, just as the others did. I will find out if the Lord has
something else to say about this." That night, God said, "Balaam, I'll
let you go to Moab with Balak's messengers, but do only what I say."
So Balaam got up the next morning and saddled his donkey, then left
with the Moabite officials."

God bless you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer

Hebrews 13:1-3(NLT)