Jonah 2:1-3:10.

Jonah 2:1-3:10
Jonah's Prayer

"From inside the fish, Jonah prayed to the Lord his God: When I was in
trouble, Lord, I prayed to you, and you listened to me. From deep in
the world of the dead, I begged for your help, and you answered my
prayer. You threw me down to the bottom of the sea. The water was
churning all around; I was completely covered by your mighty waves. I
thought I was swept away from your sight, never again to see your holy
temple. I was almost drowned by the swirling waters that surrounded
me. Seaweed had wrapped around my head. I had sunk down below the
underwater mountains; I knew that forever, I would be a prisoner
there. But, you, Lord God, rescued me from that pit. When my life was
slipping away, I remembered you— and in your holy temple you heard my
prayer. All who worship worthless idols turn from the God who offers
them mercy. But with shouts of praise, I will offer a sacrifice to
you, my Lord. I will keep my promise, because you are the one with
power to save. The Lord commanded the fish to vomit up Jonah on the
shore. And it did.

Jonah Goes to Nineveh

Once again the Lord told Jonah to go to that great city of Nineveh
and preach his message of doom. Jonah obeyed the Lord and went to
Nineveh. The city was so big that it took three days just to walk
through it. After walking for a day, Jonah warned the people, "Forty
days from now, Nineveh will be destroyed!" They believed God's message
and set a time when they would go without eating to show their sorrow.
Then everyone in the city, no matter who they were, dressed in
sackcloth. When the king of Nineveh heard what was happening, he also
dressed in sackcloth; he left the royal palace and sat in dust. - Then
he and his officials sent out an order for everyone in the city to
obey. It said: None of you or your animals may eat or drink a thing.
Each of you must wear sackcloth, and you must even put sackcloth on
your animals. You must also pray to the Lord God with all your heart
and stop being sinful and cruel. Maybe God will change his mind and
have mercy on us, so we won't be destroyed. When God saw that the
people had stopped doing evil things, he had pity and did not destroy
them as he had planned."

God bless you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer

Hebrews 13:1-3(NLT)