Luke 18:9-27.

Luke 18.9-27
A Pharisee and a Tax Collector

"Jesus told a story to some people who thought they were better than
others and who looked down on everyone else: Two men went into the
temple to pray. One was a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The
Pharisee stood over by himself and prayed, "God, I thank you that I am
not greedy, dishonest, and unfaithful in marriage like other people.
And I am really glad that I am not like that tax collector over there.
I go without eating for two days a week, and I give you one tenth of
all I earn." The tax collector stood off at a distance and did not
think he was good enough even to look up toward heaven. He was so
sorry for what he had done that he pounded his chest and prayed, "God,
have pity on me! I am such a sinner." Then Jesus said, "When the two
men went home, it was the tax collector and not the Pharisee who was
pleasing to God. If you put yourself above others, you will be put
down. But if you humble yourself, you will be honored."

Jesus Blesses Little Children

Some people brought their little children for Jesus to bless. But when
his disciples saw them doing this, they told the people to stop
bothering him. So Jesus called the children over to him and said,
"Let the children come to me! Don't try to stop them. People who are
like these children belong to God's kingdom. You will never get into
God's kingdom unless you enter it like a child!"

A Rich and Important Man

An important man asked Jesus, "Good Teacher, what must I do to have
eternal life?" Jesus said, "Why do you call me good? Only God is good.
You know the commandments: 'Be faithful in marriage. Do not murder.
Do not steal. Do not tell lies about others. Respect your father and
mother.'"

He told Jesus, "I have obeyed all these commandments since I was a
young man." When Jesus heard this, he said, "There is one thing you
still need to do. Go and sell everything you own! Give the money to
the poor, and you will have riches in heaven. Then come and be my
follower." When the man heard this, he was sad, because he was very
rich. Jesus saw how sad the man was. So he said, "It's terribly hard
for rich people to get into God's kingdom! In fact, it's easier for a
camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to get
into God's kingdom."
When the crowd heard this, they asked, "How can anyone ever be saved?"
Jesus replied, "There are some things that people cannot do, but God
can do anything."

Father God, forgive my sins. Thank you for sending Jesus Christ down
to die on the cross and for shedding his blood for me. Three days
later you resurrected him. I accept that. I invite Jesus Christ into
my heart as my Lord and savior. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

God bless you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer

Hebrews 13:1-3(NLT)