Genesis 9:1-29.

Genesis 9:1-29 (GNT)
Called to be Free to Trust in God's Promises

Introduction

Genesis 9:1-29: God blesses Noah, placing all creatures under his control.
God promises him many descendants. Then God makes a solemn promise to Noah
and to all living beings never to flood the earth again. The rainbow is
God's sign of this promise. The chapter concludes with Noah cursing
Canaan, the son of Ham.

Today's Scripture: Genesis 9:16

"When the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the
everlasting covenant between me and all living beings on earth."

How is this Scripture passage speaking to me today?

Today's Reading

1God blessed Noah and his sons and said, Have many children, so that your
descendants will live all over the earth. 2All the animals, birds, and fish
will live in fear of you. They are all placed under your power. 3Now you
can eat them, as well as green plants; I give them all to you for food.
4The one thing you must not eat is meat with blood still in it; I forbid
this because the life is in the blood. 5If anyone takes human life, he
will be punished. I will punish with death any animal that takes a human
life. 6Human beings were made like God, so whoever murders one of them
will be killed by someone else. 7You must have many children, so that your
descendants will live all over the earth. 8God said to Noah and his sons,
9I am now making my covenant with you and with your descendants, 10and
with all living beings - all birds and all animals - everything that came
out of the boat with you. 11With these words I make my covenant with you:
I promise that never again will all living beings be destroyed by a flood;
never again will a flood destroy the earth. 12As a sign of this everlasting
covenant which I am making with you and with all living beings, 13I am
putting my bow in the clouds. It will be the sign of my covenant with the
world. 14Whenever I cover the sky with clouds and the rainbow appears, 15I
will remember my promise to you and to all the animals that a flood will
never again destroy all living beings. 16When the rainbow appears in the
clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between me and
all living beings on earth. 17That is the sign of the promise which I am
making to all living beings. 18The sons of Noah who went out of the boat
were Shem, Ham, and Japheth. (Ham was the father of Canaan.) 19These three
sons of Noah were the ancestors of all the people on earth. 20Noah, who was
a farmer, was the first man to plant a vineyard. 21After he drank some of
the wine, he became drunk, took off his clothes, and lay naked in his
tent. 22When Ham, the father of Canaan, saw that his father was naked, he
went out and told his two brothers. 23Then Shem and Japheth took a robe
and held it behind them on their shoulders. They walked backward into the
tent and covered their father, keeping their faces turned away so as not
to see him naked. 24When Noah sobered up and learned what his youngest son
had done to him, 25he said,

A curse on Canaan!
He will be a slave to his brothers.
 26Give praise to the Lord, the God of Shem!
Canaan will be the slave of Shem.
 27May God cause Japheth to increase!
May his descendants live with the people of Shem!Canaan will be the slave
of Japheth. 28After the flood Noah lived 350 years 29and died at the age
of 950.

God bless you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer

Matthew 5:23-24