Genesis 27:1-29.

Genesis 27:1-29 (GNT)
 
Introduction

Genesis 27:1-29: Isaac is on his deathbed, and asks Esau to prepare his
final meal, so that he may offer Esau a blessing. But Rebecca devises a
plan to secure the blessing for Jacob by tricking Isaac. Jacob disguises
himself as Esau, brings Isaac the food, and ultimately receives the
blessing that had been meant for Esau.
 
Today's Reading


1Isaac was now old and had become blind. He sent for his older son Esau
and said to him, Son!Yes, he answered. 2Isaac said, You see that I am old
and may die soon. 3Take your bow and arrows, go out into the country, and
kill an animal for me. 4Cook me some of that tasty food that I like, and
bring it to me. After I have eaten it, I will give you my final blessing
before I die. 5While Isaac was talking to Esau, Rebecca was listening. So
when Esau went out to hunt, 6she said to Jacob, I have just heard your
father say to Esau, 7Bring me an animal and cook it for me. After I have
eaten it, I will give you my blessing in the presence of the Lord before I
die. 8Now, son, Rebecca continued, listen to me and do what I say. 9Go to
the flock and pick out two fat young goats, so that I can cook them and
make some of that food your father likes so much. 10You can take it to him
to eat, and he will give you his blessing before he dies. 11But Jacob said
to his mother, You know that Esau is a hairy man, but I have smooth skin.
12Perhaps my father will touch me and find out that I am deceiving him; in
this way, I will bring a curse on myself instead of a blessing. 13His
mother answered, Let any curse against you fall on me, my son; just do as
I say, and go and get the goats for me. 14So he went to get them and
brought them to her, and she cooked the kind of food that his father
liked. 15Then she took Esau's best clothes, which she kept in the house,
and put them on Jacob. 16She put the skins of the goats on his arms and on
the hairless part of his neck. 17She handed him the tasty food, along with
the bread she had baked. 18Then Jacob went to his father and said,
Father!Yes, he answered. Which of my sons are you? 19Jacob answered, I am
your older son Esau; I have done as you told me. Please sit up and eat
some of the meat that I have brought you, so that you can give me your
blessing. 20Isaac said, How did you find it so quickly, son?Jacob
answered, The Lord your God helped me find it. 21Isaac said to Jacob,
Please come closer so that I can touch you. Are you really Esau? 22Jacob
moved closer to his father, who felt him and said, Your voice sounds like
Jacob's voice, but your arms feel like Esau's arms. 23He did not recognize
Jacob, because his arms were hairy like Esau's. He was about to give him
his blessing, 24but asked again, Are you really Esau?I am, he answered.
25Isaac said, Bring me some of the meat. After I eat it, I will give you
my blessing. Jacob brought it to him, and he also brought him some wine to
drink. 26Then his father said to him, Come closer and kiss me, son. 27As he
came up to kiss him, Isaac smelled his clothes - so he gave him his
blessing. He said, The pleasant smell of my son is like the smell of a
field which the Lord has blessed. 28May God give you dew from heaven and
make your fields fertile! May he give you plenty of grain and wine! 29May
nations be your servants, and may peoples bow down before you. May you
rule over all your relatives, and may your mother's descendants bow down
before you. May those who curse you be cursed, and may those who bless you
be blessed.
 
God bless you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer

Matthew 5:23-24