Genesis 18:1-15

Genesis 18:1-15 (GNT)

Introduction

Genesis 18:1-15: God appears to Abraham as one of three visitors who come
to his tent. Abraham welcomes them and treats them as honored guests. The
LORD tells him that Sarah will have a baby the following year. Sarah
laughs, but God tells Abraham that there is nothing God can't do.

Today's Reading

1The Lord appeared to Abraham at the sacred trees of Mamre. As Abraham
was sitting at the entrance of his tent during the hottest part of the
day, 2he looked up and saw three men standing there. As soon as he saw
them, he ran out to meet them. Bowing down with his face touching the
ground, 3he said, Sirs, please do not pass by my home without stopping; I
am here to serve you. 4Let me bring some water for you to wash your feet;
you can rest here beneath this tree. 5I will also bring a bit of food; it
will give you strength to continue your journey. You have honored me by
coming to my home, so let me serve you.They replied, Thank you; we accept.
6Abraham hurried into the tent and said to Sarah, Quick, take a sack of
your best flour, and bake some bread. 7Then he ran to the herd and picked
out a calf that was tender and fat, and gave it to a servant, who hurried
to get it ready. 8He took some cream, some milk, and the meat, and set the
food before the men. There under the tree he served them himself, and they
ate. 9Then they asked him, Where is your wife Sarah?She is there in the
tent, he answered. 10One of them said, Nine months from now I will come
back, and your wife Sarah will have a son.Sarah was behind him, at the
door of the tent, listening. 11Abraham and Sarah were very old, and Sarah
had stopped having her monthly periods. 12So Sarah laughed to herself and
said, Now that I am old and worn out, can I still enjoy sex? And besides,
my husband is old too. 13Then the Lord asked Abraham, Why did Sarah laugh
and say, Can I really have a child when I am so old? 14Is anything too
hard for the Lord? As I said, nine months from now I will return, and
Sarah will have a son. 15Because Sarah was afraid, she denied it. I didn't
laugh, she said.Yes, you did, he replied. You laughed.

God bless you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer

Matthew 5:23-24