Exodus 20:1-26.

Exodus 20:1-26 (GNT)

1God spoke, and these were his words: 2I am the Lord your God who brought
you out of Egypt, where you were slaves. 3Worship no god but me. 4Do not
make for yourselves images of anything in heaven or on earth or in the
water under the earth. 5Do not bow down to any idol or worship it, because
I am the Lord your God and I tolerate no rivals. I bring punishment on
those who hate me and on their descendants down to the third and fourth
generation. 6But I show my love to thousands of generations of those who
love me and obey my laws. 7Do not use my name for evil purposes, for I,
the Lord your God, will punish anyone who misuses my name. 8Observe the
Sabbath and keep it holy. 9You have six days in which to do your work,
10but the seventh day is a day of rest dedicated to me. On that day no one
is to work-neither you, your children, your slaves, your animals, nor the
foreigners who live in your country. 11In six days I, the Lord, made the
earth, the sky, the seas, and everything in them, but on the seventh day I
rested. That is why I, the Lord, blessed the Sabbath and made it holy.
12Respect your father and your mother, so that you may live a long time in
the land that I am giving you. 13Do not commit murder. 14Do not commit
adultery. 15Do not steal. 16Do not accuse anyone falsely. 17Do not desire
another man's house; do not desire his wife, his slaves, his cattle, his
donkeys, or anything else that he owns. 18When the people heard the
thunder and the trumpet blast and saw the lightning and the smoking
mountain, they trembled with fear and stood a long way off. 19They said to
Moses, If you speak to us, we will listen; but we are afraid that if God
speaks to us, we will die. 20Moses replied, Don't be afraid; God has only
come to test you and make you keep on obeying him, so that you will not
sin. 21But the people continued to stand a long way off, and only Moses
went near the dark cloud where God was. 22The Lord commanded Moses to tell
the Israelites: You have seen how I, the Lord, have spoken to you from
heaven. 23Do not make for yourselves gods of silver or gold to be
worshiped in addition to me. 24Make an altar of earth for me, and on it
sacrifice your sheep and your cattle as offerings to be completely burned
and as fellowship offerings. In every place that I set aside for you to
worship me, I will come to you and bless you. 25If you make an altar of
stone for me, do not build it out of cut stones, because when you use a
chisel on stones, you make them unfit for my use. 26Do not build an altar
for me with steps leading up to it; if you do, you will expose yourselves
as you go up the steps.

God bless you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer

Matthew 5:23-24